Monday, December 6, 2010

Then Sings My Soul

Then Sings My Soul has been a very interesting book to read. It was another book provided to me by Thomas Nelson in exchange for a book review. I was amazed how many hymns were still familiar to me from my Lutheran upbringing. I realized, as reading many of these hymns and their accompanying stories, how deep the meaning is behind the words. I think as I was growing up I just sang the songs, not thinking about the meaning behind the words. But now, as I've matured or maybe just grown in my faith, they are so powerful!
Here are a couple stanzas I bookmarked for their powerfulness:

You have longed for sweet peace,
And for faith to increase,
And have earnestly, fervently prayed;
But you cannot have rest, or be perfectly blest,
Until all on the altar is laid.

Is your all on the altar of sacrifice laid?
Your heart does the Spirit control?
You can only be blest, and have peace nad sweet rest,
As you yield Him your body and soul.

I am giving this book four stars. I would have preferred the hymns to be grouped by author/composer or time period rather than by type of hymn. Several of the stories were linked together (and sometimes noted) but were not near each other in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment