- Grate 1 bar Fels-Naptha (I found this at Mast General Store) into 4 cups of hot tap water.
- Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
- Fill a five-gallon bucket half full of hot tap water.
- Add melted soap, 1 cup washing soda (also known as sodium carbonate - I found it in the pool supplies area), and 1 cup Borax; stir well.
- Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover, and let sit overnight to thicken.
- Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap mixture and the rest of the way with water. Shake before each use. (It will gel.)
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Homemade Laundry Detergent
Here is a recipe for homemade laundry detergent. It makes ten gallons of laundry detergent for just a few dollars. I found four different recipes online, all very similar. The one I used was closest to the recipe the Duggar Family uses: