Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Am Hutterite

The fifth book provided to me by Thomas Nelson Publishers for review was I Am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby.
This book took me a long time to get through. There were so many characters and I really had a hard time following. It wasn't until I was more than halfway through the book that I realized there was a family tree and a Hutterite Language Glossary at the back of the book. Had I noticed that earlier, it would have helped immensely.
Reading about the Hutterites and how they live: feeling so sheltered and protected, yet feeling trapped at the same time was fascinating. I enjoyed reading about daily life in the Hutterite Community, how life worked with no personal property and everyone sharing in all the work. It was also interesting to see how, when leaving the community, the author's family started over with nothing and yet managed to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment